Monday, March 9, 2009

Goodbye old friend...


We had been friends for fifteen years. But when he stopped eating,I knew that it was time. Beagles never do that. The decision to take him to the vet knowing he would not be coming back was very, very hard. Don't ever underestimate how painful it is.
Just like we don't like dentist's and doctor's rooms, he feared that shiny spotless silver table.
So I asked my kind vet if his last moments could be on soft green grass in the shade of a gentle tree under a wide open blue sky. His spirit would travel freely and softly away.
These words helped me that day.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what can be done
For this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad I understand
Don't let grief then stay your hand
For this day more than all the rest
Your love and friendship must stand the test


I'll never forget you, my unconditionally loving friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment